|What Are the Proven Results of BSFT®?
A large body of research provides evidence of BSFT's efficacy. While BSFT is notable as a model developed particularly for its cultural competence with language and cultural minority families, the model has been tested with other populations including African-Americans, women, and those with HIV/Aids. An extensive list of adaptations have been made by the co-developer to a variety of settings including foster-care, Native American reservations, home-based and community clinic settings, transitional programs and others.
(Note: adaptations should only be made by a developer to assure that core elements of the model are preserved.)
Relative to comparisons*, participating children/adolescents and their families showed:
- 75% reduction in marijuana use
- 75% of families remained in the program for the full dosage
- 58% reduction in association with antisocial peers
- 42% improvement in conduct disorder
In addition, Families showed significant:
- Increased family participation in therapy (92% of referred/non mandated families)
- Improvements in maladaptive patterns of family interactions (family functioning)
- Improved family communication, conflict-resolution, and problem-solving skills
- Improvement in family cohesiveness, collaboration, and child/family bonding